Best African Food
Rich stews and dry meats, Once you try it, you'll fall in love. Here are Melbourne's best African restaurants.
1. The Abyssinian || 277 Racecourse Rd. Kensington. 3031. Ph: (03) 9376 8754. theabyssinian.com.au.
Eat communal-style at this well-priced café. Rich stews and dry meats top sour ‘injera’ bread, the plate and cutlery. African wooden décor makes you feel like you’re on safari.
2. Kamel || 19 Victoria Ave. Albert Park. 3206. Ph: (03) 9696 1386.
Nice aromas fill the small café serving African and Moroccan-inspired fare. Brekkies like honey toast with Ethiopian spice, lunches of steamed mussels with mint harissa and banquet dinners.
3. Nyala African || 113 Brunswick St. Fitzroy. 3065. Ph: (03) 9419 9128.
Long-time Fitzroy resident with colourful décor. Wash down filling dishes like Baboutie, meat minced with chutney, nuts and dried fruit with an African beer.
4. Café Lalibela || 91 Irving St. Footscray. 3011. Ph (03) 9687 0300.
Owners Abera and Salam Ayalaw emigrated from Kenya where they ran a similar-style eatery. Spicy, slow-cooked ‘wats’ (stewed meats) soak injera bread for a wholesome hands-on feast.
5. Dinkensh Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant || Barkly St. Footscray. 3011. Ph: (03) 9687 8644 dinkneshrestaurant.com.
Sat night? Enjoy live Ethiopian music while you fill up on a budget. Perhaps some doro alicha, a chicken dish with berbere pepper sauce served with rice or Enjera.