Escape to the country and saddle up for some horseriding this weekend. Sign up for Victoria's best trail rides.
1. Gunnamatta Trail Rides || 150 Sandy Rd. Fingal. Ph: (03) 5988 6755. gunnamatta.com.au
Head down the Nepean to the Mornington Peninsula and sign on for the St Andrews Beach & Bush Ride. Suitable for beginners and advanced, its $98 for 2 hours. You’ll start on a bush track before climbing over the dunes and onto the beach. With a face full of sea air, break into a trot if you’re up to it. They host twilight rides in Summer.
2. Uncle Nev’s Trail Ride ||1115 Wallan Rd. Upper Plenty. Ph: (03) 5783 1310 unclenevs.com.au
Re-live moments from the Man from Snowy River as you gallop or walk through the tranquil Mt Disappointment State Forrest. Finding you the perfect horse from a stable of 60, kind staff will show beginners the ropes. Rides run daily, mounting up at either 9.30 am or 1.30 pm, but they also do a twilight ride and a Great Aussie Pub Ride where you’ll enjoy a mid-ride meal at a country pub.
3. Horseback Winery Tours || 356 Shands Rd. Main Ridge. Ph: (03) 5989 6119. horsebackwinerytours.com.au
Another on the Mornington Peninsula – this time with vino. Choose between a three-hour ride, with 2 winery stops for $110 or go all out with the full day, which includes lunch for $175. Great scenery – be it through the Red Hill and Shoreham wine regions or through the MP National Park. Wineries include Red Hill Estate, Montalto or Ten Minutes by Tractor.
4. Blazing Saddles Horse Trail Rides || 115 Bimbadeen Drive. Aireys Inlet. Ph: (03) 5289 6016. blazingsaddlestrailrides.com
With Texan-like lingo, Blazing Saddles guarantees one of ‘the best danged horse trail rides’ in Western Victoria. From ‘bow legged bean eating cowboys’ to ‘old geezers,’ they cater for all ages and levels. A beginner (that’s us) coastal ride goes for 1 ¼ hour, a bush ride for 2 ¼ hours and a long 2 ½ hour beach ride where you’ll ride 5km along the gorgeous Fairhaven beach. Prices are reasonable so saddle up.
5. Hepburn Lagoon Trail Rides || 60 Telegraph Rd. Mount Prospect. Ph: 0408 059 125. hepburnlagoonrides.com.au
A romantic Daylesford getaway equals day spas and a belly full of fine food. We think it’s time for some adventure so sign on for a trail ride. Meander through the gorgeous countryside of the Mt Prospect countryside. After, chat and share a drink with the crew in the Tack Room, a bluestone cottage with an open fire.