Top 5 Places for Late & Decadent Dinner on The South Side
Greg Conrad, owner of one of Toorak’s most loved salons Conrad Mace, has lived and worked in South Yarra for 20 years (this November). Fair to say he’s a bit of an expert when it comes to knowing the neighbourhood spoils. “Its like a small country town within a big city… we all know each other – and have done so – for so long that there are plenty of smiles and waves in the street. We welcome each other into our businesses like family!”. Working long hours means dinner is often taken in more of a European style: late at night, by candlelight and in glamourous surrounds. Here are Greg’s tips:
1. France Soir | 11-13 Toorak Road, South Yarra | Open 7 days 12 Noon – Midnight | www.france-soir.com.au
I love the noisy community feel of France Soir – from the French accents through to the French wines – oh and the steak and frites are simply the best in Melbourne. A little bit of old school Paris in Toorak Road.
2. Caffe e Cucina | 581 Chapel St South Yarra| Open 7 days: Mon – Sun: 12pm – 11pm | caffeecucina.com.au
A Chapel Street institution: small, intimate, moody but really, its all about the food. Must have: the calamari. Its the best I have ever eaten.. anywhere! Reliably excellent and their attention to detail is second to none.
3. 38 Chairs | 4A Bond StreetSouth Yarra | Open: Tue-Fri 7.30am-11pm, Sat-Sun 9am-11pm | thirtyeightchairs.com.au/
I hope a new institution in the making. Wonderful selection of great food to share or gorge on the incredible meats and cheeses. Service is faultless – its like being looked after by your long lost Italian family.
4. Cosi | 68 Toorak Road South Yarra | Open Mon – Fri 10.30am – late Sat – Sun 9am – late | cosirestaurant.com.au
Day or night, inside or out, brunch, lunch or the perfect place for a late dinner any night of the week. Wonderful fresh, home-cooked food. Comforting but beautiful. Leave room for dessert. You’re welcome.
5. Bistro Gitan | 52 Toorak Rd West, South Yarra | Open Monday: 5pm till Late, Tuesday to Friday: 12pm till Late, Saturday: 5pm till Late | bistrogitan.com.au
Another soon-to-be-institution. Bistro Gitan’s menu is incredible… breathtaking. Warm, gentle lighting sets the mood. The whole experience is absolutely charming. I’m still dreaming about the Delice Soufflé!