Best Greek Restaurants
Savour all your favourites at our best Sydney Greek Restaurants!
1. Medusa Greek Taverna || 2 Market St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9267 0799. medusagreektaverna.com.au Gregori Akridas has achieved a delicate balance with this CBD eatery. It’s casual yet smart, affordable yet good quality and the menu is full of old favourites that have been given a freshen up. Try the signature slow-cooked side of lamb with lemon potatoes.
2. Nostos Tavern || 121 Norton St, Leichhardt. Ph: (02) 9550 0144. nostos.com.au As one of the few Greek restaurants in the area, Nostos holds its own against the Italian restaurants on the Norton Street strip. Come for the spiced grilled sardines of the tomatoes stuffed with asparagus, eggplant and zucchini.
3. Eleni’s || Civic Hotel, 388 Pitt St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 8080 7000. civichotel.com.au The hearty fare associated with a traditional Greek meal is all very well and good if you’re happy to roll home afterwards, but a lighter option can be found in the Civic Hotel’s sharing plates: pan-roasted lamb cutlets, Greek style fries with fetta or spicy wagyu meatballs.
4. Corinthian Rotisserie || 283 Marrickville Rd, Marrickville. Ph: (02) 9569 7084. The atmosphere can be rowdy, the service can be hurried, but that’s part of the charm of this family run affair. That, and the huge servings of Greek classics: skordalia, grilled octopus and plenty of lamb, served with chips.
5. Xanthi|| 88 Audley St, Petersham. Ph: (02) 9569 7534. perama.com.au
Like George Calombaris in Melbourne, David Tsirekas takes Greek food to a whole new level, and we don’t just mean up the escalator from Becasse. Forget the fact that it’s in a shopping center. This place is fun, it’s loud, it’s good value, it’s Greek food with the wrinkles taken out and the grey touched up.