Best Places to Buy Tea
Be it a fruit infusion or premium green, we think it's time for tea. We’ve found the best places in Sydney to buy tea.
1. The Tea Centre || The Glasshouse, 146 Pitt Street Mall, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9223 9909; 236 Pacific Hwy, Hornsby. Ph: (02) 9482 3494. theteacentre.com.au
More than 180 teas for sale (and almost all available to drink at the tiny in-store cafe) means tea lovers have 180 reasons to visit. Pick yourself up something from the range of quirky tea ware on display.
2. T2 || Westfield Sydney, Sh 15G, 450 George St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9230 0022. t2tea.com
Don’t for a minute think this place is all flash and no substance; sure, the displays might be straight out of a catalogue, but the classic teas are top quality and the inventive blends and flavoured teas are like nothing you’ll find elsewhere.
3. Taka Tea Garden || Sh 12 Ground Floor, The Strand Arcade, 412-414 George St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9222 1577; 320 New South Head Rd, Double Bay. Ph: (02) 9362 1777. takateagarden.com.au
This award-winning tea shop specialises in premium Japanese green tea, including Chikumeido, grown on the slopes of Mt. Fuji. Here’s also a good range of herbalist teas blended for specific health needs.
4. Ten Ren Tea || 389 Victoria Ave, Chatswood. Ph: (02) 9884 7668; 696 George St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9281 1887. tenren.com.au
The retail menu here is a thoroughly comprehensive list of Asian teas, including jasmine, green tea and pue-rh, but the café menu is straight-up fun: kumquat green tea, walnut black milk tea or green tea with ma-cha ice cream.
5. Zensation || 656 Bourke St, Redfern. Ph: (02) 9319 2788. zensation.com.au
Part retail store, part teahouse, Zensation is a haven of calm. Try before you buy at the tasting bar (where you’ll also see how the tea is traditionally poured) or settle in for a longer tasting session in the cafe at the back.