Best Sydney Zoos
Attention wildlife enthusiasts - these are Sydney's best wildlife encounters
1. Taronga Zoo || Bradleys Head Rd. Mosman. Ph: (02) 9969 2777. taronga.org.au.
Sydney’s most famous zoo is also its oldest, and the only one in which you’ll find all the big guns of the zoo world: lions, tigers, elephants and giraffes. The scenic ferry ride is just an added bonus.
2. Featherdale Wildlife Park || 217 Kildare Road. Doonside. Ph: (02) 9622 1644. featherdale.com.au.
Just 45 minutes from the CBD and you’re in a bush setting perfect for the native creatures housed here. It’s an all-Australian affair, but you’re still looking at around 300 species of animals, including crocodiles, penguins, bilbies and Tasmanian devils.
3. Sydney Aquarium || Aquarium Pier, Darling Harbour, 2000. Ph: (02) 8251 7800. myfun.com.au.
Get up close with creatures of the deep via a walkway that takes you right under tanks filled with grey nurse sharks and manta rays. On the surface you’ll find the Great Barrier Reef habitat and Mermaid Lagoon.
4. Sydney Wildlife World || Aquarium Pier. Darling Harbour. Ph: (02) 9333 9288. myfun.com.au.
It might be geared towards the tourist market, but that doesn’t make it any less fun. It’s smack bang in the middle of Darling Harbour and houses a lush rainforest, a butterfly habitat and a five-metre crocodile by the name of Rex.
5. Oceanworld Manly || West Esplanade. Manly. Ph: (02) 8251 7877. myfun.com.au.
Catch a speedy JetCat over to the Manly Wharf for this aquarium experience. The more daring can try the Shark Dive Xtreme (which is exactly what it sounds like) – otherwise there are plenty of colourful fish and sea creatures that don’t have such big teeth.