Best Boxing Gyms
Hit the ring and pack a punch at Sydney’s best boxing gyms.
1. Woolloomooloo PCYC || Riley & Cathedral Sts. Woolloomooloo. Ph: (02) 9360 5835. pcycnsw.org/cityofsydney
Sydney’s oldest PCYC, and one of Australia’s oldest boxing gyms, was almost lost a few years ago, but has been given a lifesaving renovation. There’s a fully equipped boxing room, including a ring and bags, as well as classes on offer.
2. Boxing Works || 21 Pelican St. Darlinghurst. Ph: (02) 9267 7484. boxingworks.com.au
The boxing facilities here – which include two rooms, floor to ceiling balls and more than 30 bags – are just the start. Boxing Works also offers classes in Jiu-Jitsu, Greco-Roman wrestling and Shooto – specialty of the owner Larry Papadopolous.
3. Joe’s Boxing Club Sydney || 1/41-43 Smart St. Fairfield. Ph: (02) 9726 1151. joesboxing.com.au
With more than 20 years in the business, Joe has a solid reputation for building amateurs up to competition level. Unlike many of the other gyms that cross over into martial arts territory, Joe’s teaches the style used in the Olympics.
4. Toe to Toe Boxing Club || 23/192a Kingsgrove Rd. Kingsgrove. Ph: 0403 821 670. toetotoe.com.au
As a former Amateur Boxing Champion, founder David Birchell is passionate about getting regular people to box for both fitness and fun. The club also puts on some great amateur boxing events for when you feel you’re up to scratch.
5. Double Dragon || 55 East Pde, Sutherland. Ph: (02) 9589 0400. doubledragon.com.au
Sporting the same name of one of the eighties’ most popular beat-em-up games, you know this has got to be the real deal. Owner Mick Spinks has brought together a team of trainers versed in the arts of Muay Thai kickboxing, Kung Fu and Dragon Fist Freestyle