Best Cookware Shops
Get equipped at Sydney's best cookware and utensil shops
1. Chefs’ Warehouse || 111-115 Albion St, Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9211 4555. chefswarehouse.com.au.
It’s the supplier behind some of the top restaurants in Sydney, but for the home cook it’s a wonderland of professional utensils and exotic ingredients, like Madagascan vanilla or Belgian Callebaut chocolate.
2. The Cookery Book || 44 Sailors Rd, Northbridge. Ph: (02) 9967 8211. cookerybook.com.au.
Truly embracing what it means to be a specialty store, The Cookery Book is Australia’s only bookshop to deal exclusively in culinary tomes. With 9,000 items on shelves you’ll find books on everything from food history to cooking in caravans.
3. The Bay Tree || 40 Queen St, Woollahra. Ph: (02) 9328 1101. thebaytree.com.au.
One of the city’s oldest kitchenware stores, The Bay Tree was the first in Sydney to stock Le Creuset, Magimix and Maldon salt. The boutique store still has a focus on premium brands and specialised kitchen tools – now you know where to go to get a square ice-cream scoop.
4. The Book Kitchen || 255 Devonshire St, Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9310 1003. thebookkitchen.com.au.
It might not be as comprehensive as other bookshops, but it does have the distinct advantage of being a cafe as well. Food is organic and biodynamic wherever possible, while the book selection is culinary with a hint of art and design.
5. QCC Catering || 53 William St, East Sydney. Ph: (02) 9331 4124. qcc.net.au.
What it lacks in aesthetics this supply store makes up for in sheer volume. Two floors of catering equipment include everything you’d need for your kitchen, or perhaps bigger ventures – banana split dishes to bain-maries.