Best Fish and Chips
In a box, bag or cone, we catch up with Sydney's best fish and chip shops.
1. Bondi Surf Seafoods || 128 Campbell Pde, Bondi Beach. Ph: (02) 9130 4554. bondisurfseafood.com.au.
Voted Sydney’s best fish n chips, Bondi’s oldest fish shop gets fresh seafood from the markets each day and grills or fries it to order. Take your purchase to the beach for eating and you’ll be thinking life doesn’t get much better. But it does. They also do deep-fried Mars Bars.
2. Ocean Foods || Cnr Lyons Rd and Gipps St, Drummoyne. Ph: (02) 9181 4336. oceanfoods.com.au.
Let the brightly coloured fish outside show you the way to what the owners proclaim as “the best fish n chips in the universe”. It’s a bold claim, but they can back it up pretty well with a menu that covers everything from classic fish n chips to sushi and oven-baked barramundi.
3. Fish Mongers || 42 Hall St, Bondi Beach. Ph: (02) 9365 2205; 11 Wentworth St, Manly Beach. Ph: (02) 9977 1777. mongers.com.au.
It’s the little flourishes that the Mongers put on their meals that make all the difference, the extra thick cut chips, kumera crisps or tempura vegetables that are served with your boxed meal of fish, barbecue octopus or salt and pepper calamari.
4. Bottom of the Harbour || 21 The Esplanade St, Balmoral. Ph: (02) 9969 7911. bottomoftheharbour.com.au.
What started life as just your average chipper has evolved into one of Balmoral’s favourite cafes. There’s a breakfast service on offer, but we say skip straight to what they’re known for: grilled ocean perch with chips and salad. Add a glass of wine and an ocean view and you’ve got it made.
5. Kiwi Style Fish & Chips || 895 Botany Rd, Mascot. Ph: (02) 9667 2499.
When they’re not complaining about our theft of pavlova, Phar Lap or Russell Crowe, you’ll often hear the Kiwis bemoan the lack of good fish and chips in this country. Steer them to this expat joint for a slice of home (and some kumera chips). The burgers aren’t half bad, either.