Best Indian Restaurants
Think Indian for dinner tonight. We know where to get Sydney's best Indian food!
1. Aki’s || 6 Cowper Rd, Woolloomooloo. Ph: (02) 9332 4600. akisindian.com.au
The younger sister of Strathfield’s Abhi’s, this waterside venue does Indian with a modern spin – think wagyu beef with chickpeas, fennel, mustard seeds and coconut flakes. They even do an Indian take on high tea.
2. Nilgiri’s || 81 Christie St, St Leonards. Ph: (02) 9966 9903. nilgiris.com.au
Nilgiri’s has been hovering near the top of the list since it opened in the late ‘90s thanks to chef Ajoy Joshi’s dedication to getting the basics right. The thali is top notch, as is the rest of the a la carte menu, but there’s buffet on Sundays for the indecisive.
3. Zaaffran || 345 Harbourside Shopping Cntr, Darling Harbour. Ph: (02) 9211 8900; 18 The Piazza, Castle Towers, Old Northern Rd, Castle Hill. Ph: (02) 9634 2133. zaaffran.com
Highlighting just how vast and varied the culinary map of India is Zaafran’s extensive menu is all encompassing, offering everything from creamy curries to barbecued meats and oven cooked dishes. Vegetarians are spoilt for choice.
4. Malabar South Indian || 334 Pacific Hwy, Crows Nest. Ph: (02) 9906 7343; Shp6/274 Victoria St, Darlinghurst. malabarcuisine.com.au
The distinct cuisine of India’s south is typified by its use of lentis, spices and seafood – all of which make it onto the menu at Malabar. The house specialty is the crisp lentil pancakes known as dosai, but fish dishes flavoured with coconut pop up regularly on the menu.
5. Bayleaf Brasserie || Shp 12- 14 Willoughby Rd, Crows Nest. Ph: (02) 9906 6080. bayleafindian.com
Don’t let the shopping centre location put you off – this understated Indian diner is one of Sydney’s favourites. Settle in for beetroot and kumera patties flavoured with mango powder or barramundi fillets with mustard seeds and black pepper.