Best Organic Stores
Meat, dairy, greens and more, get it all at Sydney’s best organic stores.
1. Wholefoods House ||109 Queen St, Woollahra. Ph: (02) 9363 9879; 3/9 Danks St,
Waterloo. Ph: (02) 9319 4459. wholefoodshouse.com.au.
Eliot Rickard’s love of quality organic food has translated into two Sydney stores with a pretty much comprehensive range of organic goods. He’s stocking everything from essentials (bread, milk, baby food) to confectionery, beauty products and bulk goods.
2. Cleavers || Shop 6, The Grove Arcade, 174-176 Military Road, Neutral Bay. Ph: (02) 8969 6982. organicmeat.com.au.
Cleavers are known for stocking the fridges at Coles and Woolworths with organic meat, but if you’re after more personal service you can drop by their own butchery. Their beef, lamb and chicken is not only organic, but comes from animals raised on ecologically sustainable farms.
3. Summer Hills Organic Fruit Market || 162 Old Canterbury Rd, Summer Hill. Ph: (02) 9799 3258.
It’s no longer all about fruit here, but it is all about organics. Along with the range of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables you’ll find a mind-blowing range of flours, grains, legumes, cereals and dairy products.
4. Peasant’s Feast || 121A King St, Newtown. Ph: (02) 95165998. peasantsfeast.com.au.
Wanting organic food doesn’t necessarily mean wanting to cook it yourself, which is why Sydney’s only organic dinner restaurant deserves a mention here. Country-style cooking is the inspiration for the menu, with dishes like rich cassoulet and tender braised lamb shanks.
5. About Life || 605 Darling St, Rozelle. Ph: (02) 8755 1333; 31-37 Oxford St, Bondi Junction. Ph: (02) 9389 7611. aboulife.com.au.
Calling themselves a “natural food market” About Life stock more than 15,000 products in each of their stores, with everything from bread to beauty products on the shelves. Both stores have a full cafe where you can tuck into healthy organic porridge or a slightly naughty bacon and egg roll.