Sydney Fish Market - tips for this Christmas
Fishy Do's and Fishy Don'ts
We love fresh seafood. Let’s face it – would Christmas lunch, nay, any summer barbecue be complete without a kilo or two of prawns? Not on your nelly! This means you’ll likely be making your way to the Sydney Fish Market over the coming weeks for the plethora of fresh seafood on offer.
Being caring souls we thought we’d share with you Agenda’s Fishy Dos and Fishy Don’ts before your Fish Market excursion.
1. Take advantage of extended trading – they’ll be open from 5am December 23 til 5pm Christmas Eve. Or, from 7am other days. Get there early for the best catch.
2. Enjoy yum cha at Fisherman’s Wharf Seafood Restaurant. Having access to the best seafood they have a busy and good yum cha service ensuring your dumplings will always be deliciously fresh.
3. Do all your shopping at the markets. Check out these not so fishy faves -
◦ Blackwattle Deli is stocked with an amazing range of cheeses, smallgoods, spices, oils and preserves. They have a cafe on site to boot.
◦ Waterside Fruit Connection only stocks the freshest produce at competitive prices. They also have a fresh juice bar and florist.
◦ Rosie’s Gift Shop sells professional quality cooking utensils, knives, pots and pans.
1. Don’t drive your car to the market over December. Extra parking is provided in the days right before Christmas but, the Metro Light Rail from Central or the route 443 bus from Town Hall are still your best options to avoid parking queues.
2. Don’t be fooled by the opening hours printed on the website. Most of the seafood retailers start closing up mid-afternoon.
3. Don’t be tempted to order deep fried seafood at the market’s food court. Take your fresh catch home for a healthier option or if you must eat there go for sashimi!